These both are used for the management of anxiety and panic disorder similarly, but these products differ from each other. Here we have mentioned some significant differences between these two.
Generic, Brand and Drug Classifications
- Generic version: These two have different in the glance of generic and brand as Etizolam is generic, but Xanax is a brand name of Alprazolam.
- Drug classification: Etizolam and Xanax, both belong to different classes of medications. Etizolam belongs to a class of drugs, which is Thienodiazepine, and Xanax belongs to Triazolo benzodiazepine.
FDA approval and medical uses:
Xanax is an FDA approved medication in the U.S. for the treatment of anxiety and panic disorder. It was recommended in 1981. Etizolam is a non-FDA approved drug for the treatment of anxiety, insomnia, and panic attacks.
- An overview on ADHD Medication
- Is Tamiflu Best to Help Fight Flu?
- Malaria – Causes, Symptoms, and Diagnosis
The bioavailability of Xanax is 93% (oral), and for Etizolam, it is 90% (oral).
Both drugs are available in several dosages. Etizolam comes with 0.25 mg, 0.5 mg and 1 mg of strength and Xanax is available with 0.25 mg, 0.5 mg, 1mg and 2 mg dosage.
Xanax is a schedule IV drug as per the FDA’s approval, and Etizolam is a research chemical and not a prescription medication in U.SU.S.
Both drugs have a different half-life, the half-life of Xanax is 5 hours(standard), and for Etizolam, it is 5 to 7 hours.
Common side effects:
- Xanax – drowsiness, lightheadedness, dry mouth, depression, headache, constipation, and diarrhea. (Full Review)
- Etizolam – sedation, muscle weakness, ataxia