Showing the single result
Carisoprodol is a generic medication and sold under the brand name Soma among others, for medical use. In the United States, Carisoprodol is a prescription medication and Schedule IV-controlled substance. This medication is approved for medical use for three weeks. When taken by mouth, it begins its work within half an hour and lasts for up to 6 hours.
This medication was approved for medical use in the United States in the year 1959. Carisoprodol is available as a generic medication. In the United States, it was the 181st most prescribed medication with more than 3 million prescriptions in the year 2016.
- Brand name: Soma
- Pharmacologic category: Skeletal muscle relaxant
- The onset of action: rapid
- Time to peak: 1.5 to 2 hours
- Duration: 4 to 6 hours
- Half-life: 2 hours
- Storage: 20°C to 25°C (68°F to 77°F).
This medication is meant to be used along with rest physical therapy and other measures to relax muscles after sprains, strains, and muscle injuries. Carisoprodol comes in tablet format and taken by the mouth three times a day.
- Soma: 250 mg, 350 mg
- Generic: 250 mg and 350 mg.
Usual Adult Dosage For Muscle Spasm
You may take 250 mg to 350mg orally 3 times a day and at bedtime. You should not take this medication for more than 3 weeks.
Before Taking Carisoprodol
You are advised to avoid taking this medication if you are allergic to Carisoprodol or meprobamate.
Tell your doctor if you have or ever had,
- A seizure
- Liver disease
- Kidney disease
How Should I Take This Medication?
You should take some precautions while using Carisoprodol to ensure the hundred percent advantage and protection from adverse effects.
- You should take this medication exactly as prescribed by your doctor for the shortest duration.
- Do not take overdoses of the drug; it may cause severe adverse effects.
- Do not stop taking drugs suddenly after long-term use of medication, it may cause withdrawal symptoms.
- Carisoprodol is only a part of the treatment, not a complete program; you should also take the help of physical therapy and rest.
Carisoprodol may cause some frequent and severe side effects, which may occur due to misuse of the drug. The side effect of this medication do not happen usually but may in some adverse conditions.
Take immediate medical help if you have any of these effects which are given below,
- Chest pain
- Black tarry stools
- Cold sweats
- Faintness dizziness and lightheadedness when changing the sitting position
- Pounding, fast or irregular heartbeat or pulse
- Painful or difficult urination
- Loss of bladder control
- Shortness of breath
- Sore throat
- Sudden loss of consciousness
- Unusual weakness or tiredness
Symptoms of Overdose
- Blurred vision
- Change in consciousness
- More significant dilated or enlarged pupils
- Confusion as to place, person or time
- A strange sense of well-being
- Inability to move the eyes
- Increased blinking or spasms of the eyelid
- Heightened sensitivity of the eyes to light
- Irregular, slow or fast or shallow breathing
- Muscle stiffness
- Uncontrolled eye movement
- Unusual nervousness, excitement, or restlessness
- Strange facial expression
This medication also has some usual side effects which may occur at the start of treatment. These effects do not need any special treatment as they disappear slowly during the procedure.
- Deep or fast breathing with dizziness
- Warming of face
- Dry mouth
- The fainting feeling of constant movement of surrounding
- Irritability and heartburn
- Nausea and nervousness
- Numbness of the hands, feet, and around the mouth
- Pain or discomfort in the chest
- Redness of the face
- Sensation of spinning
- Shakiness and unsteady walk
- Trouble sleeping
- Unable to sleep
- trembling, Unsteadiness,
- problems with muscle control and coordination and Vomiting, etc.
It is not a complete list of side effects; some others are also possible. Talk to your health advisor if you have any unusual changes while using Carisoprodol.
What Necessary Precautions Can I Take While Using Carisoprodol?
It is essential to take a few necessary precautions while using Carisoprodol. Precautions work like a shield and protect you from the unwanted effects of the medication. Taking precautions also ensures the hundred percent benefit of the drug.
- You should take a balanced dosage as prescribed by your doctor. You should not take medication without any recommendation.
- This type of drug has a risk of adverse effects when using drugs less or more than a prescription.
- Do not take two or more than two dosages at one time.
- Do not take this drug if you are a pregnant lady or planning to have a baby.
- This drug is also not right for a nursing mother; it can react to your breast milk.