Is Vyvanse Better Than Adderall
Adderall and Vyvanse are amphetamines and are known to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Since both drugs are intended for the same medical purposes, people are sometimes confused between these two. In order to help such ADHD patients, here we have given a comprehensive comparison between Vyvanse and Adderall.
You are also an ADHD patient or a caretaker of a child with ADHD; this blog may help you with the best information. Please keep reading to learn all about Vyvanse vs Adderall and a comparison between their doses and side effects.
Quick intro for both drugs
It is good to know about these two drugs before comparing them. In addition, this information can also help you better understand the points like Vyvanse vs Adderall and their comparison. Let’s have a look;
What is Vyvanse?
Vyvanse is a well-known central nervous system or CNS stimulant. It is a prescription medication used to treat a range of medical conditions. Most of Vyvanse’s uses may include;
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder or ADHD. This medication may improve attention ability and decrease impulsiveness and hyperactivity in patients with ADHD.
- Binge eating disorder is also known as BED. Vyvanse may help decrease the number of binge eating days in people with BED.
This medication mainly treats ADHD and BED, not for weight loss. It is unknown if this medication is safe and effective for the management of obesity. Also, Vyvanse is not safe for people allergic to stimulants like Adderall. One who has taken any anti-depression medication in the last 14 days should also avoid using this medication.
What is Adderall?
Adderall is also a prescription medication known as the brand-name form of amphetamine and dextroamphetamine. Like Vyvanse, Adderall is also prescribed for the management of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. However, it is not that good in the management of BED but can treat narcolepsy efficiently.
This medication should be used as a part of a complete treatment program for ADHD and narcolepsy that may include physical therapies and counseling. Adderall is a controlled drug substance approved only for limited medical purposes.
So, hereafter reading the intros of both drugs, we have a significant difference in reference to Vyvanse vs Adderall, their use. When Vyvanse is used to treat BED, but Adderall does not, at the same time, Adderall treats narcolepsy, but Vyvanse doesn’t.
What is common between Vyvanse and Adderall?
Both Vyvanse and Adderall are central nervous system stimulants. Each medication is prescribed to manage attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Both substances are derivatives of amphetamine salts. Most of these two drugs’ side effects are very similar and affect in the same way the consumer.
Their common side effects include sleeplessness, anxiety, digestive issues, and other complications. Also, they belong to the same amphetamine family of drugs, which means they have the potential to produce addiction and withdrawal symptoms.
Difference between Adderall and Vyvanse
Well, there might be a range of differences between the impacts of Adderall and Vyvanse depending on the consumer’s system. But the significant difference between Vyvanse vs Adderall is their active ingredients. Adderall contains amphetamine salts (amphetamine & dextroamphetamine), whereas Vyvanse has lisdexamfetamine, which your system converts to dextroamphetamine before it is functional.
When talking about Vyvanse vs Adderall, mentioning the differences between their uses is crucial. Although both medications are used to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, their sub uses are different. Adderall is also used to treat narcolepsy, and, at the same time, Vyvanse is used to manage BED.
Is Vyvanse better than Adderall for adults?
It depends on the user’s system and dosage to manage attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. The mechanism of both drugs are pretty similar and are used for the intention. However, Adderall contains active amphetamine salts that work directly, but Vyvanse is a pre drug that acts after being converted into amphetamine.
This means when an adult takes Adderall, they get quick relief from the symptoms of ADHD, while when they use Vyvanse, it takes time to prevent ADHD symptoms. Since adults can digest such drugs efficiently, Adderall may be more beneficial than Vyvanse.
Is Vyvanse stronger than Adderall?
No, there is not any difference between the strength of Vyvanse and Adderall. Both drugs share their mechanism of action; studies have shown that Adderall is as effective as Vyvanse. However, there might be differences in their dosage strengths as their tablets contain unique amounts of active drugs. For example, a 30 mg tablet of Vyvanse equals 8.85 mg dextroamphetamine or 11.8 mg of Adderall.
This means Adderall tablets are more potent than Vyvanse in terms of the amount given on the particular pill.
Vyvanse vs Adderall XR
There are no significant differences between Vyvanse and Adderall XR instead of their way of acting. Vyvanse is a medication in immediate-release form, while Adderall XR is an extended-release formulation. Immediate-release drugs are known to produce their effects immediately in a given time, while extended-release medicines are known to have their impacts round the clock.
Immediate-release tablets are mainly intended to manage acute type conditions, while extended-release medications come for use in chronic diseases. In addition, their use may change depending on the case.
Vyvanse vs Adderall side effects
Most side effects of these two medications are almost similar, although their severity might be different depending on the user’s health. Here is a quick comparison between the side effects of Adderall and Vyvanse.
Serious side effects of Adderall:
- slowing of growth in children;
- seizures, mainly in individuals with a history of seizures;
- blurred vision, eyesight changes;
Serotonin syndrome. A potentially dangerous problem called serotonin syndrome can occur when medicines like Adderall are taken with certain other medicines. Symptoms of serotonin syndrome may include: hallucinations, fast heartbeat, agitation, coma, or other changes in mental status problems controlling your movements, sweating or fever, muscle twitching, nausea or vomiting, and diarrhea high or low blood pressure.
Common side effects include stomach ache, nervousness, or decreased appetite.
This medication may affect your or your kid’s ability to drive or do other dangerous activities. Talk to your healthcare if you or your baby have adverse effects that are bothersome or stay longer. This is not a complete list of Adderall’s possible side effects. Consult your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
What Are The Side Effects of Vyvanse ?
Vyvanse may cause severe after-effects, including slowing growth, mainly in children.
The most common adverse effects of Vyvanse in ADHD include Anxiety, diarrhea, dizziness, irritability, dry mouth, nausea, trouble sleeping, loss of appetite, vomiting, upper stomach pain, decreased appetite, weight loss.
The most common adverse effects of Vyvanse in BED include trouble sleeping, dry mouth, constipation, decreased appetite, feeling jittery, increased heart rate, anxiety.
Talk to your healthcare instructor if you have any severe side effects that bother you or do not go away. These are not all the side effects of Vyvanse. For more information, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
Vyvanse vs Adderall dosage
- The dosage of Vyvanse and Adderall are different and can play a vital role in treating ADHD. Before we discuss their dosages, it is good to know about the best way of intake.
- How you need to take Adderall or Vyvanse depends on the drug form you are using. Here, we have instructions for people who take Adderall or Vyvanse in its tablet form.
- You should take Adderall and Vyvanse tablets orally one to three times a day.
- The first amount should be used in the morning after first waking up. You may take additional doses after an interval of four to six hours. Try not to use these drugs later in the evening. This can cause trouble falling asleep at bedtime.
- You can take Adderall or Vyvanse tablets by mouth with or without food. It’s always good to take these tablets with food to avoid a drug overdose and stomach problems. Your dosage amount must be based upon your medical condition and response to treatment. Your pharmacist may adjust your dose at regular intervals to determine which dosage is best for you.
- Always take it simultaneously each day without missing a single dose. If ignored, take it as soon as you remember. Buy Adderall online to get the quickest drug delivery at your doorstep. Adderall dosage.
Usual adult dose for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder Immediate release IR:
- Initial dose: 5 mg orally 1 to 2 times daily
- Maintenance dose: may increase 5 mg at weekly intervals
- Maximum amount: 40 mg per day
Extended-release XR: Patients who are switching from other medication or starting treatment with Adderall; Initial dose: 20 mg orally once within a day Usual adult dose for Narcolepsy Immediate-release IR Initial dose: 10 mg per day in divided doses Maintenance dose: may increase 10 mg at weekly intervals Maximum amount: 60 mg per day
The recommended initial dosage in adult people and pediatric patients six years and older is 30mg once a day in the morning. Dosage may be adjusted in increments of 10mg or 20mg at approximately seven days intervals up to the maximum recommended dosage of 70 mg once daily.
The recommended initial dosage in adult people is 30mg once daily to be titrated in increments of 20mg at approximately seven days intervals to achieve the target dose of 50mg to 70mg once a day. The maximum dosage is 70 mg once a day.
Vyvanse vs Adderall for mood
Both medications are intended for ADHD that may also be considered a mood disorder. Both medicines are suitable for mood disorders; however, some of their uses are different. Yet, when recommended, you can take Vyvanse or Adderall for conditions associated with mood.
Adderall vs Vyvanse for weight loss
No, these medications are not used for the purpose of weight loss. In case someone reports weight loss after taking amphetamines, it is a side effect. As a matter of fact, obesity is not a disease or disorder that drugs can treat. So, Adderall and Vyvanse are not approved for weight management; if you witness the same, you must go for medical help.
Adderall vs. Ritalin vs. Vyvanse
All three medications are used to manage attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in children and adults. There are no significant differences between Adderall, Ritalin, and Vyvanse. The only difference they have is their active ingredients. Also, their peak level may be different between them as Ritalin and Vyvanse take more time to initiate their effects than Adderall.
Can you take Adderall and Vyvanse together? How much Vyvanse is equal to Adderall ?
It depends. Since Adderall and Vyvanse both come from the same drug class, they can be combined when necessary. However, their combination might be compelling and become dangerous in some situations. Therefore, we recommend you not combine these drugs until your doctor or pharmacist recommends so.
In case your condition is severe, and one drug is not sufficient to control the symptoms, your healthcare provider can ask you to take them together. Before blaming the drug, make sure you are taking your dose correctly, and the medication you are on is genuine. If the medicine you are taking is fake, your treatment will never find an end.
For more information on the same, you must meet an experienced doctor who knows drugs.
As mentioned earlier, a 30 mg amount of Vyvanse is equal to 11.8 mg of Adderall. This never means Adderall is always stronger than Vyvanse or works better than Vyvanse. It is just a difference between their formulations and dosage. If you take a 30 mg pill of Vyvanse and a 10 mg of Adderall, they will work almost similarly.
Vyvanse vs Adderall reviews
- Both Adderall and Vyvanse are good and are known to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. I have been using Adderall for the last two months and am getting the best results of the drug. I recommend the use of this medication for all kinds of attention-related issues.
- Being a regular user of Adderall, I appreciate its results against attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. I recommend this medication to all my friends and relatives with ADHD.
- Vyvanse is the best choice for people with a weak immune system. It has fewer risks of side effects and is less addictive. I have been taking it for the last three years. Recommended.
- There are several choices for ADHD management, yet I prefer Adderall, not because it has something extraordinary, only because it is quick. Every individual with ADHD or narcolepsy should try it at least once.